Monday, January 7, 2008

My Experience with iUniverse

Why did I publish through iUniverse?
I sent our a few queries to agents and traditional publishers expecting to face months and possible years of rejection. Friends had self-published. I looked at the various companies and iUniverse seemed to offer the best combination of value for money. The fact that they partnered with Barnes and Noble was a big factor.
I have been quite happy with that choice. Sure you're not going to get the same hand-holding that other mainstream publishers provide. I don't have an editor who is gaga over my book. In fact, I don't think anyone at iUniverse other than the person who did my editing have read my book.
So what! It forced me to be humble. I had to learn to read and understand the Chicago Manual of Style. Not easy!
I learned how costly the process is and if I couldn't afford to pay for the services of a third edit or whatever, I'd better darn well read my manuscript through carefully myself for the hundredth time.
To make the publishing process affordable iUniverse has had to segment and systematize the process with templates and form letters. You don't get to chat informally with staff via email. Coddling cost money. I get by without it for the satisfaction of having my book in print.
Questions?

No comments: